1.3
Style and Design
Usability

Excuse the long read, but......When I first used this thing, I noticed right away that each time you print something, the "buy epson ink" page popped up right away. When I needed my first new cartridge, I thought their ink was WAY overpriced.

So I used generic, and they worked fine. I even bought an extra set to keep on hand. Then the latest upgrade came out, and as epson vanted it, these new cartridges were no longer reckognized by the new firmware! Then after doing some reading I found that hp is doing the same thing to get you to replace only with genuine cartridges.

What a gyp! I will no longer buy ANY epson product, and I threw away what monetarily amounted to 2 printers. CORPORATE GREED when you need to throw away perfectly good overpriced ink! I have since trash picked an old canon copy/fax/wireless printer that puts the epson junk to shame and it uses generic cartridges without issues that sell for less than 5 bucks on ebay.

I even have the software that will reset the built in counter that tries to get you to bring it in for un-needed cleaning service that would cost over $300. I think inkjet printers are ALL like this and will never spend my hard earned money on another one.

This leaves me wondering what the gimmick is with laser printers that use toner? I never owned one but just may in the future.

Product or Service Mentioned: Epson Expression Xp-430 Ink Cartridge.

Reason of review: ink rip off.

Preferred solution: go out of business.

• Epson 430

Comments

h.kitchener

I learned the hard way to never update firmware on printers for the very reason you describe. If your printer will handle generic cartridges, remember the old saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."