Usability

This is my entire dialog 2 days ago (7/10/18) directly with Epson online. Beware if you own an Epson or are considering buying one..... don't! If you have one already, do not allow printer updates and/or disable the update function:

Sent: Tuesday, July 10, 2018 1:40 PM

Subject: Msg Sent to Epson through an online chat

Scenario: Two elderly people in their late 80's, husband still working part-time in-home to supplement a very fixed income, and wife legally blind but still able to function somewhat on the computer, which is a main part of the little bit left she can do and loves to do.

However, your 'bricking' policy to download updates that disable printers on the unsuspecting product owner is terribly wrong. Their new Epson XP-830 printer is now useless to them and they have to either cough up the 2x+ cost to purchase your 'Epson brand' ink cartridges and toss the supply of the 3rd party cartridges they have saved up for that they were using, or pay to have their printer replaced with another brand from a company that doesn't do what you just did. They absolutely cannot afford the high cost of Epson ink and up until yesterday, the 3rd party ink they can barely afford was doing just fine. Your stupid firmware update ruined that for them. The mrs. spent hours and hours trying to figure out what went wrong and finally gave up. Not only is this extremely stressful and very unhealthy on these 2 people, it severely impacts the business they are still trying to run, and making their overall living expenses even harder to meet. These people should be focusing on meeting their bills, eating and living comfortably, not dealing with this type of stress and bs. Isn't Epson getting enough money on their products that they still have to go and skim more off of people who can't afford more?

This needs to be resolved in their favor. It needs to be discontinued. I expect to hear back from somebody who can give me a satisfactory answer within 24 hours. If not, I will be posting this (in greater detail) on every facebook page and public forum I can. There is already a lot of negative feedback about this practice online and I intend to add to it. With this sort of practice Epson will be losing customers; a lot of them, me included, ultimately not gaining the revenue they think they'll be getting. Please fix this or tell us how to.

===========================================

Reply from Epson 7/10/18 - exactly the same as their website statement:

"Hi- The Epson XP-830 is designed to use only genuine Epson-brand ink cartridges. Other brands of ink cartridges and ink supplies are not compatible and, even if described as compatible, may not function properly. From time to time, Epson updates its firmware to ensure the printer operates as designed. Epson provides information about the design of the printer on the box as well as many other locations including materials shipped with the printer. -Chat Conversation End-"

-----------------------------------------------------------

7/10/18 @ 5:30 pm

My Reply to Epson: You provided me an answer as expected...... a canned response. Is this even a human and do you have a name? I would really like to talk to a person who can give a satisfactory answer, which this is not.

AND, this is a complete inaccurate brush-off. The printer absolutely WAS working perfectly every since they bought it on the brand of 3rd party cartridges they were using -- no issues at all. I am using 3rd party cartridges on my HP and guess what? They aren't doing what Epson is doing!

Then Epson comes along and screws it all up....why? Because they 'might not function properly'? Seriously? They WERE functioning properly and just because they 'might not' for some people isn't a good enough reason to sabotage all customers printers and force them to by cartridges that are 2-1/2 times the price, which is simply so Epson can make more money. Profit. Never mind that they might be hurting the same people they are trying, so they say, to 'help'. Complete nonsense and definitely a move to make sure they get all the maintenance profits in addition to purchasing the equipment.

These elderly people (85 and 89) who are trying to still maintain their home business just to make ends meet, are my parents and they do not deserve to have to pay your inflated prices just to use your printer. There are much better printers out there from companies that won't do this to their customers.

I NEED to talk to a person who is willing to work with me and give me a satisfactory solution. A simple boilerplate brush-off response is the bottom of the barrel and will.not.do. I will give my phone number, but first I need to know I am given more attention than what I have just received and I am actually going to talk to someone who is willing to listen.

After this, if not resolved, everybody will know how you take advantage of even elderly people who are just barely surviving on an annual income that most people make in a couple of months. Epson is NOT looking out for its customers -- if they were, they'd offer their own ink cartridges at the same prices as customers can get from other vendors, not inflated like they are.

(phone number pending a live human chat reply )

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tuesday July 10, 2018 6:00 pm

Reply from Epson: "Sorry about the situation. Many of these products currently advertised as compatible also infringe Epson’s intellectual property and are prohibited from sale in the United States. Epson invests in enforcement against these infringing sellers in an effort to protect its intellectual property and to protect consumers who are enticed by the low price, but are unaware of the intellectual property and possible performance issues."

----------------------------------------------------------

My reply back to Epson, July 10:

If these are prohibited from sale in the U.S., how come (a major online company) is selling these alongside the Epson cartridges? Are you saying that (this company) is violating something that is prohibited from sale in the U.S.? If this is the case, how come Epson hasn't shut this down? This is not a product we bought overseas - this is a product from a California company - is this one of the companies that infringe on Epson's IP rights? . If this is the case, how come we have been able to buy them for so long and they are still for sale on a very popular public venue?

This is still not helpful. I would like a solution to the high cost of Epson ink cartridges, and/or a work-around in allowing us to use the ink that has been working for us until Epson stepped in and squashed that. And a better explanation on what to do in the case of this particular product.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No reply back from Epson this time -

My final post to them July 11, 2018 8:45 am:

I realize I'm not going to get anywhere with your company, and that nobody there cares about the consumers, only the bottom line. I have done much research online and this is a problem that has been going on for some time now and that the consumers are paying dearly for Epson's deception and trickery. Nobody I have talked to or read about who has had this happen to them, is happy with Epson. They were all blindsided and none of them are ever purchasing Epson again. I can state positively that I will NEVER EVER buy another Epson product again, it will always be somebody else's brand, and updates will never be allowed to come in again. In the face of such a backlash, I wonder how long it will take before Epson takes a huge hit and goes bankrupt.

I will be putting my experience with these practices online in every forum I can, and I have already been passing the news to everybody I know, and I can guarantee that the people I have been talking to are already passing it along to everybody they can and all have vowed not to ever buy Epson.

This is a sorry situation for everybody, including the employees of Epson who will ultimately pay the price by losing their jobs as the company fails. No company can survive when they don't take their customers best interests to heart and only care about the bottom line. Too bad it is coming to this. Never again.

Reason of review: Extremely Bad Customer Care and Practices.

Preferred solution: Give me a fix for this printer and allow continued use of the less expensive 3rd party cartridges. Otherwise, compensation would be helpful. You are taking food and med $ away from elderly people who can't afford anything at all, and especially this..

Company wrote 0 private or public responses to the review from Jul 12.

Comments