13.6K views

I Installed a firmware update, and now the printer can no longer "recognize" my print cartridges which had been working fine until the update. Word on the Internet is that Epson deliberately tries to punish people who buy replacement cartridges from other vendors, so they can sell their overpriced ones, and they do that by updating the firmware so that other vendor cartridges are "not recognized".

This is despicable. I will never buy another Epson product. They have even spawned a cottage industry that for $5 sells a firmware downgrade.

It is cheaper to buy a new printer than to buy Epson replacement cartridges. Their business practices are predatory and should be illegal.

Product or Service Mentioned: Epson Xp-630 Printer.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

Epson Pros: Printer.

Epson Cons: Business practices.

Comments

I totally agree, I will never buy an Epson product again...... goodbye Epson....

I have the EPSON XP-440 series..I'm afraid to update the firmware because I don't want it to reject my after market cartridges (which work GREAT at half the price). I'm on firmware 20.22.SO08I5. Is anyone running a newer firmware without issues on 3rd party ink?

same issue. I'd been ignoring the firmware update requests, but this week, the XP-830 would not let me print until I installed the update.

When I did so, it then would not recognize my remanufacturered epson cartridges. can't seem to find a way around this.

Is there a petition on Change.org to sign?

Same thing happened to me today. I'm reinstalling my Canon All-In-One printer and it's adios Epson.

I will NEVER buy an Epson product again.

absolutely against Federal Trade Commission and Epson agreement with government NOT to conduct such practices. EPSON NEVER AGAIN!!!

@PissedConsumer1554224

It's a scam that should be illegal. Unfortunately, EPSON isn't alone in this practice: they're main product is their ink, not the hardware.

Same thing happened to me today. Totally pissed.

Will not buy Epson again. Please tell your friends and family.

I agree wholeheartedly. *** Epson.

I have the same problem and now I'm stuck with $100 worth of ink cartridges I can't use.

@PissedConsumer1549830

same here...not happy! have tried everything!

This happened to me today as well

Go to this site and follow the complete directions... it works! http://mattpilz.com/how-to-downgrade-epson-xp-printer-firmware-fix-ink-not-recognized-error-xp-300-to-xp-640/ Thank you, Matt!

@PissedConsumer1547780

thank you so much!!! downgrading firmware was the answer for me. :)

@PissedConsumer1547780

Yessir worked like a charm and free

@PissedConsumer1547780

This worked. Thank you so much!!!!

@PissedConsumer1547780

I, too, downgraded the firmware. The problem is that now the quality of the prints suddenly changed: grey letters with white stripes when I print text, and faded colors when I print images. And the cartridges are brand new, so that can't be the cause.

Yes! This still works!

@PissedConsumer1547780

Yes! This still works! I have an XP-440 and followed the instructions on Matt's page and it worked perfectly.

Epson Reviews