8.6K views

I Installed a firmware update, and now the printer can no longer "recognize" my print cartridges which had been working fine until the update. Word on the Internet is that Epson deliberately tries to punish people who buy replacement cartridges from other vendors, so they can sell their overpriced ones, and they do that by updating the firmware so that other vendor cartridges are "not recognized".

This is despicable. I will never buy another Epson product. They have even spawned a cottage industry that for $5 sells a firmware downgrade.

It is cheaper to buy a new printer than to buy Epson replacement cartridges. Their business practices are predatory and should be illegal.

Product or Service Mentioned: Epson Xp-630 Printer.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

I liked: Printer.

I didn't like: Business practices.

Comments

"ME TOO" , LETS START OUR OWN ME TOO MOVEMENT!!! EPSON YOU CAN GO TO HELL!!!!!

I just experienced the same thing on my WF-4740. Please comment if you have a solution. I've been scrolling through comments but don't see a solution yet.Thanks!

We bought the Epson XP 830. We were happy until we had to buy new cartridges - even though we only printed in black and we were required to buy the color cartridges as well.On Amazon, we found 3rd party ink cartridges designed to be used with this printer.

We bought them at 1/2 the price of the Epson cartridges online and did very well UNTIL ....the fateful day when we pressed "yes" to the firmware update offer on the printer screen.Since then, no printing at all....despite 3 calls to Epson, with no satisfactory response. FYI - one of the calls may have even sent us to a possible scam technician who offered a fix for a virus from the firmware.....Our next move - use this only as a scanner and buy a laser printer...definitely not from Epson!

to Rita L #1509900

I’m exactly, in the same shoes, I’m livid.

the *** rats screwed up my printer.

okk

UnevenMarmot

We can use this site to whine about how awful Epson is, or we can use it to help each other defeat Epson's efforts to force us to use only their ink. I choose to do the latter, as have a few others.

Don't believe Epson when they tell you you can't "downgrade" your firmware so you can use non-Epson ink.

I did the downgrade in early April and have had no problems since. Just make sure to turn off automatic updates so the problem doesn't arise again.This youtube video will tell you how to replace the firmware that is causing your problem with older firmware: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6wdgJODghcYou can find the older firmware here: https://www.latestprinterdrivers.com/category/epson/Type the model of your printer in the "Search and enter" box to get the appropriate firmware for your printer.Good luck!

to UnevenMarmot #1505609

Update says firmware can not be downgraded.

to UnevenMarmot #1508215

Epson made sure that we cannot downgrade the firmware, screw them

KE7OMP

I have an Epson WF-4740 and only use Epson genuine ink. After the June 11th firmware update the printer will not recognizing Epson genuine ink cartridges, have tried a new set, at $128.00 still will not work.Epson support has been less then helpful, I fact EVERY time you connect them they have you try the same trouble shooting steps as I did whit the last few rep's.

Ditto on all comments.. XP- 830 not recognizing ink cartridges after firmware update..

Epson just says.." so sad.. too bad" This is corporate bullying. Shameful practices by mega companies.

If they would price their ink competitively, it wouldn't be such an issue. I am done with Epson.

Was considering an Epson projector, but looks like I will be purchasing another brand replacement printer as well and a competitors projector. Either way...Epson loses.

Does Epson have any idea how inexpensive switching to a HP or Brother printer is? I have 4 new off brand cartridges sitting, ready to install that are now trash. I was considering an Epson projector for outdoor movies....hahahahaha….no more Epson in our household!

SAME problem on my XP-440 printer! I just sent Epson my RAGING message, so I won't repeat it here.

The only reset option I've found was some bloodsucking website that wants to charge me 20 bucks for reset, which I refuse to pay. I'm mad as *** :(

I thought Epson would not do this but the last firmware update made refill cartridges not recognizable after the update.wont buy anymore Epson products.

Same problem - ink from iKong, Purelink and LD all fail. I have an XP-830. Epson sucks.

I have Epson XP-830. I have same issue with ink cartridges not working after Epson Firmware update.Been an Epson customer decades. If Epson doesn't address this in the next few days with a rollback of the firmware I'll throw the printer in trash and never purchase another.At some point law firms will issue a class action suit

happened today on my Epson XP-830. been using this brand for months and when I get a firmware update it immediately does not recognize the cartridges.too bad.

really nice machine that is going in the garbage heap because of this practice. who do they think they are APPLE?

Same here!!

Same experience, throwing out the Epson getting another brand. Printer worked fine with non epson cartidges this is an EPSON SCAM