14.1K views

I Installed a firmware update, and now the printer can no longer "recognize" my print cartridges which had been working fine until the update. Word on the Internet is that Epson deliberately tries to punish people who buy replacement cartridges from other vendors, so they can sell their overpriced ones, and they do that by updating the firmware so that other vendor cartridges are "not recognized".

This is despicable. I will never buy another Epson product. They have even spawned a cottage industry that for $5 sells a firmware downgrade.

It is cheaper to buy a new printer than to buy Epson replacement cartridges. Their business practices are predatory and should be illegal.

Product or Service Mentioned: Epson Xp-630 Printer.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

Epson Pros: Printer.

Epson Cons: Business practices.

Comments

I'm also trashing (literally) my Epson printer and going with Brother. I've not had the issues with Brother that I have had with HP and Epson.

#1751915

Hit by this problem today, WF-3720 printer pushed a firmware upgrade and stopped working with a cryptic error (033007) code that I eventually figured out was due to the non-OEM cartridge. Printer is going in the bin and I will never buy another Epson product. I would give the printer away but then someone would have to buy another cartridge from Epson, so nope.

I'm responsible for all of the computers and peripherals for our Dept. We currently have 712 printers.

Luckily, only 21 are Epson printers. I'll make sure that we do not buy ANY Epson products (printers or anything) in the future!

@PissedConsumer1751151

I also will not buy anymore Epson products and plan to initiate a class action lawsuit. As of today I am a victim.

This is ridiculous. Epson should be ashamed for low class tactics!

@PissedConsumer1753075

Became a victim of Epson's *** Move today. Installed an "important firmware update" and now my printer won't work because I am not using their cartridges. (Greta voice) "How DARE you!" Please add me to the class action lawsuit.

Ditto

I had the same problem with Epson Printer 446. It's cheaper to buy a brand new printer than buy 4 new cartridges. Outrageous business practice.

@PissedConsumer1742782

I can confirm rolling back the firmware and removing the updater is possible and the printer works perfectly again. I have and Epson 440. No more updates till it blows up.

@PissedConsumer1743031

How do you roll back the update?

@Magda

Yes please how do you roll it back

@PissedConsumer1743031

I tried the rollback but the button sequence you need to press in order to put the printer into "firmware update" mode doesn't work anymore. Hitting "stop", "left arrow", "home", and "power" buttons at the same time is supposed to do it according to many online sources but it just doesn't work anymore. Greedy bastards.

I have the same problem. Surely Epson has committed an illegal act!

Avoid Epson products, problem solved, partially, because I don't know which manufacturer is the most compatible friendly, if at all..?

They are crooks in operation ,the marked should be regulated and not by crooks, as people are forced to pay one litre of ink over 3 thousand dollars so they have created a firmware that stops your printer if your cartridges are not original

Same here. Said there was a firmware update for my XP 640.

Put in an aftermarket cartridge and it would not recognize. I am done with epson.

My Epson XP 620 printer has the same issue now. No, I will not be buying their overpriced *** cartridges when my off brand refillables work perfectly fine until this criminal *** into my hardware. They need serious repercussions for this criminal act that they put against their own customers.

I did the firmware update and the printer won't recognize genuine epson ink, not 3rd party. Firmware update screwed up my printer now it's junk.

@PissedConsumer1676599

did you fix it?

I KNEW they were doing something nefarious. My aftermarket cartridges are no longer working either.

I have an Epson WF 7710. I emailed them a note that asked if Epson had disabled my printer from accepting non-Epson cartridges. Got back the usual blah, blah, blah. Then I pointedly asked if my Epson printer was designed not to accept aftermarket ink cartridges (from my office email, with our patent law firm logo on the bottom).

The of course told me that aftermarket cartridges are "not guaranteed to work"...which is not what I asked them. Considering that this seems to be a practice across the industry, has anyone explored a class-action suit against the printer companies as to this practice?

If so, I'd like to join, if not, I'd be interested to see who else would join one if I started it? Tom

@Nickol

Yes they have settled many times before. Someone needs to refuse a settlement and seek criminal prosecution. This is no different than ransomware.

Epson Reviews