8.6K views

I Installed a firmware update, and now the printer can no longer "recognize" my print cartridges which had been working fine until the update. Word on the Internet is that Epson deliberately tries to punish people who buy replacement cartridges from other vendors, so they can sell their overpriced ones, and they do that by updating the firmware so that other vendor cartridges are "not recognized".

This is despicable. I will never buy another Epson product. They have even spawned a cottage industry that for $5 sells a firmware downgrade.

It is cheaper to buy a new printer than to buy Epson replacement cartridges. Their business practices are predatory and should be illegal.

Product or Service Mentioned: Epson Xp-630 Printer.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

I liked: Printer.

I didn't like: Business practices.

Comments

to SteveW #1522797

This worked for me. Go to the http://mattpilz.com/how-to-downgrade-epson-xp-printer-firmware-fix-ink-not-recognized-error-xp-300-to-xp-640/ website and follow the instructions.

Worked for my XP-830, I'm back in business.Don't bother calling Epson Customer Support.

I called them and after sending them a picture of my printer (which revealed I had a 3rd party toner that I didn't realize), they basically said 'sorry, nothing we can do. Is there anything else we can help you with today'.My dad used to call that the Song and Dance routine.

WTF!! So now I'm totally screwed??

My printer worked yesterday and now it's toast! I am beyond pissed.

I have VERY IMPORTANT WORK TO DO!!! And definitely no extra money to fix this problem!

I had the same problem. I updated and have brand new cartridges and now the printer "does not recognize ink cartridges".

I am very disappointed and angry!! I will never buy another Epson product again.

Anyone has any recommendations of which brand is a better buy... that won’t break your remanufactured ink after a firmware upgrade?

I have been using third party ink for years and the new upgrade totally screwed that. I am throwing away my Epson today and never buying any Epson products again. Nice job Epson, you lost another customer.

to B. Combs #1513491

This is very very wrong... will never buy Epson again.

I wholeheartedly agree.

same thing here ( happened twice) . Will buy a different brand next time. Shame on them!

Same thing epson 4730. It has no buttons to enter update mode and cant get to any of the touchscreen settings with out buying their ink first.

Wasted $200 on a printer that is not even a year old.

Never will buy any of their products again. So pissed and dissapointed.

I have the same problem with my XP830 printer. I will never buy another Epson printer due to there disgusting practices. I will also be sending a letter to AG.

I 100% agree: just a total BS move. Reminds me of Keurig and their stupid proprietary pods.

Wake up Epson! You think you won't see a customer backlash and sales effect from this?

What genius executive was behind this decision? We want names.

Love the review ! Agreed! Loved my Epson printer, hate their business practice.

The same thing happened to me. They were brand new refilled cartridges working fine until I did the upgrade.

I’m so angry I haven’t even ordered new cartridges for it. I have a cannon I’ve been using instead but Edson needs to do something.

Has done it twice to me, the last just now AND I HAVE EPSON CARTRIDGES!!! First time I used Epson support and they "fixed" it. Stupid me didn't note what I did!

This guy can help you downgrade your firmware.http://mattpilz.com/how-to-downgrade-epson-xp-printer-firmware-fix-ink-not-recognized-error-xp-300-to-xp-640/#comment-16706

to Nathan #1511647

This worked for me Epson XP-635

Upgraded last night, sure wish I didn’t. XP 640 is useless pos now. Thanks Epson!

This is second upgrade that did this. The law says you can use third party ink but epson is just screwing with you.

When does the class action lawsuit for this begin?

Same thing here