14.1K views

I Installed a firmware update, and now the printer can no longer "recognize" my print cartridges which had been working fine until the update. Word on the Internet is that Epson deliberately tries to punish people who buy replacement cartridges from other vendors, so they can sell their overpriced ones, and they do that by updating the firmware so that other vendor cartridges are "not recognized".

This is despicable. I will never buy another Epson product. They have even spawned a cottage industry that for $5 sells a firmware downgrade.

It is cheaper to buy a new printer than to buy Epson replacement cartridges. Their business practices are predatory and should be illegal.

Product or Service Mentioned: Epson Xp-630 Printer.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

Epson Pros: Printer.

Epson Cons: Business practices.

Comments

Same problem. Will not recognize ink cartridges after firmware upgrade.

Returning my Epson printer back to Costco for full refund.

Will by a Brother Laser jet instead. Horrible company with shady business practices.

Poor decision Epson. Going to come back to bite you in the *** people will no longer buy your product. Bite your nose to spite your face.

This just happened with a WF series printer I purchased in 2018 that has Epson cartridges in it. It failed after firmware update on 10/11/2019.

Courage-Honor-Duty I now have a large paperweight and have worked for 3 days trying all kinds of solutions to no avail even with the paid fixes. I became so frustrated that I started using my past experience as a legal assistant and have been researching monopoly laws and I believe that they have crossed the line and a class action suit to which hundreds of thousands of Epson owners can be the aggrieved.

I feel so strongly about it that I have decided to use some of my old contacts to get a referral to a law firm (not just an attorney) because it will take multiple attorneys and support staff to work this. After Epson is dealt with I think the same fate should befall HP and any others who try this fleecing of the public. The WF-3720 I have now is my 5th Epson I have owned in the past 9 yrs as my needs changed and I wanted to upgrade. That loyalty HAS NOW STOPPED and I am going to tell everyone I know to boycott Epson.

I would encourage everyone that has been harmed by their actions to make notes about when it happened and how it has effected your ability to carry on your personal/professional daily business and the financial burden it caused you. Whether you give in and pay $100+ for a set of ink cartridges or go buy another printer, it cost you money, time, inconvenience, frustration, and anguish especially for those of you who cannot afford to purchase either option. So now you will have to bother a friend or go to the library to print your documents.

Keep these notes in a safe place where you will remember the location so that you can provide them to the attorneys if you decide to join the class action suit. Finally, again I strongly encourage you to use all means of communications that you use to tell everyone to boycott Epson and steer away from HP.

@Kritika

Maybe we an add in the environmental impact. If everyone tosses their printer...

What's the cost and impact. Epson has a responsibility

@Kritika

Please include me.

#1761995

I have the same experience, just might spring $5 for firmware downgrade.

Me too. Brand new printer.

Maybe .5 ream of paper through it. Done with Epson for life, will advise everyone I know, I own the IT department for north America at work, done.

Same thing just happened to me with my wf-3720. I spoke to their customer service and accused them of sending malware to mess up a perfectly good, working printer, but they didn't care and said to buy their ink.

Some thing for me. My printer is 3 months old and the cartridges cost more than the machine.

The aftermarket cartridges worked great and this morning I got a firmware upgrade and NONE of the cartridges work.

This is COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE. NEVER again will I buy an epson product, even if that means I have to copy things in CRAYON!

This just happened with my Epson WF-3720. I recently purchased my SECOND one because the first was struck by lightning.

I had almost full non-Epson ink, so just put it into the new printer. I remembered I still have the "set-up" cartridges (you know, those ones that come with the printer, with VERY little ink), so I installed those, thinking "they are Epson, they will make it work". WRONG - now I'm getting an error message that says, "Initial cartridge detected, printer already initialized"...….

so I can't even use those. If anyone finds a work-around, please let me know.

Epson WF3720 Same mess! Always had Epsons....but never EVER again!!

Enough things in this world to upset me without having to PAY extra for the privilege. Thanks for ruining my weekend Epson!

I just went through this same issue and I will not buy any other products made by EPSON.

@PissedConsumer1761023

Going to throw out both printers and buy a different brand!

Same here. Perfectly good, full cartridges before firmware update; now I cannot print anything at my business.

Never again. Never will one single Epson product ever darken my door as long as I live.

Epson will never get me money again I would rather buy a new printer

This happened to me today. I like the printer much better than my older HP, but I will never buy another Epson product.

yes I have had the same freaken issue this Epson printer worked great until the last firmware update now my ink wont work because I am being forced to buy their overpriced ink ? nope not happening .

Epson "ransomware'd" my XP-330 on Sept 25,2019. They say in multiple emails that I am required to buy their criminally over priced ink for it to work.

Has anyone started the class action lawsuit yet?

Where and how do I get the firmware downgrade? If I can't fix it I will use it for target practice.

@Lou

If there is a class action suit, count me IN. Same issue.

Epson Reviews