9.1K views

I Installed a firmware update, and now the printer can no longer "recognize" my print cartridges which had been working fine until the update. Word on the Internet is that Epson deliberately tries to punish people who buy replacement cartridges from other vendors, so they can sell their overpriced ones, and they do that by updating the firmware so that other vendor cartridges are "not recognized".

This is despicable. I will never buy another Epson product. They have even spawned a cottage industry that for $5 sells a firmware downgrade.

It is cheaper to buy a new printer than to buy Epson replacement cartridges. Their business practices are predatory and should be illegal.

Product or Service Mentioned: Epson Xp-630 Printer.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

Epson Pros: Printer.

Epson Cons: Business practices.

Comments

Same *** happened to me. {{Redacted}}

None of these techniques work after Epson's sneaky update. My non-OEM ink company sent me free non-OEM replacement cartridges with new chip in them compatible with the update. So I did not have to buy Epson brand.

well i did the update from epson and ink was not recognized... HERE IS THE FIX...

that i used to get my printer working again.... go to matts page to find out how to get your printer in firmware update mode.. http://mattpilz.com/how-to-downgrade-epson-xp-printer-firmware-fix-ink-not-recognized-error-xp-300-to-xp-640/ then go to driverscollection and find the epson printer you have .. https://us.driverscollection.com/?V=Epson&S=36 go to the last page..

3 at the bottom find your printer most epsons are grouped with similar firmware.. mine is the xp-435 but i used the 430 firmware. now find the firmware download area.. be careful not to click on all the google ads..

click on the download recovery mode..version.. then click on the download bar that (will turn blue when you put your cursur over it) it will start the update on the printer... wait a few minutes until the screen says finished...

power off and back on.. put the ink in and in a few minutes you should be good to go

@johnboy

Thank you for this post!!! You just saved me a bunch of moolah.

:) Out of the 3 possible downloads, the first didn't work for me, so I tried the second one and I am back up and running. Shame on you, Epson!

@johnboy

Hi. I have the same problem with my EPSON 430.

How to set my printer into recovery mode. I tried a lot combo but failed.

@johnboy

You're my Hero!!!! Worked like a charm!!

Same Here

Same thing just happened to me. printing fine in the morning. Applied firmware update & now won't recognize non-epson ink cartridges.

@Tom O

@Anonymous

Hello. Can you tell me who you're working with?

I'm in same boat. Thanks

Same here, XP-830. Very disappointed in this sleezy practice, will never buy anything Epson ever again.

The same thing happened to me, Epson xp-446. Will never purchase another Epson product.

I will never buy another epson. You have to hook up a cable on the back to a laptop or pc and roll back the firmware. Too mich trouble.

Same problem after firmware update. Mine are OEM cartridges, I don't have time for this.

@John

OK, so apparently mine are NOT OEM. They are refilled from a third party in OEM plastic cartridges.

Here is the email I sent to Epson:Dear Epson Support. Thanks for your help today on the phone. Your help desk process was efficient and appreciated. That said, I am very disappointed with the results of this discussion.Its apparent that your updated firmware essentially turns my printer AND scanner into brickware.I had no idea these were not OEM toners, but why should it matter?

My printer worked yesterday and now it doesn't today, thanks to the new firmware which apparently now blocks any toners that are not sold by Epson.I took today off to get work done at home which involves using my scanner, which I can not do. For that I am beyond frustrated. I am very busy professional and don't have time for this nonsense.You have a very dissatisfied customer, all in the name of Epson trying to force out any third party toners. Is that even legal?Please convey my disappointment to your leadership team, and that while I love this scanner, I won't be able to buy any more Epson products unless this is resolved.And I'll search the internet and find a previous driver that will put this back to working status.

So what does Epson really gain with this firmware strategy other than dissatisfied customers who in turn tell other consumers and ultimately revenue loss? Maybe JD Powers will call me to inquire how I feel about Epson printers.Again, thank you for your professional support on the phone.

#1522034

I’m dealing with the same thing. It’s ***

#1519110

Thanks for the note. I also had the same problem. Epson shouldn't care if other brand inkjet cartridges work in their printers, they would sell more printers.

I agree never by another epson printer

I also just experienced the same situation after updating my firmware my printer no longer recognizes some of my ink cartridges. Well Epson your ink is too expensive and rather than going to buy your ink I will buy a new printer that is not an Epson . Too bad as this is the second one I have owned and it will now be the last .

@Anonymous