12.8K views

I Installed a firmware update, and now the printer can no longer "recognize" my print cartridges which had been working fine until the update. Word on the Internet is that Epson deliberately tries to punish people who buy replacement cartridges from other vendors, so they can sell their overpriced ones, and they do that by updating the firmware so that other vendor cartridges are "not recognized".

This is despicable. I will never buy another Epson product. They have even spawned a cottage industry that for $5 sells a firmware downgrade.

It is cheaper to buy a new printer than to buy Epson replacement cartridges. Their business practices are predatory and should be illegal.

Product or Service Mentioned: Epson Xp-630 Printer.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

Epson Pros: Printer.

Epson Cons: Business practices.

Comments

Epson will never get me money again I would rather buy a new printer

This happened to me today. I like the printer much better than my older HP, but I will never buy another Epson product.

yes I have had the same freaken issue this Epson printer worked great until the last firmware update now my ink wont work because I am being forced to buy their overpriced ink ? nope not happening .

Lou

Epson "ransomware'd" my XP-330 on Sept 25,2019. They say in multiple emails that I am required to buy their criminally over priced ink for it to work.

Has anyone started the class action lawsuit yet?

Where and how do I get the firmware downgrade? If I can't fix it I will use it for target practice.

Briella
@Lou

If there is a class action suit, count me IN. Same issue.

I'm also trashing (literally) my Epson printer and going with Brother. I've not had the issues with Brother that I have had with HP and Epson.

#1751915

Hit by this problem today, WF-3720 printer pushed a firmware upgrade and stopped working with a cryptic error (033007) code that I eventually figured out was due to the non-OEM cartridge. Printer is going in the bin and I will never buy another Epson product. I would give the printer away but then someone would have to buy another cartridge from Epson, so nope.

I'm responsible for all of the computers and peripherals for our Dept. We currently have 712 printers.

Luckily, only 21 are Epson printers. I'll make sure that we do not buy ANY Epson products (printers or anything) in the future!

@PissedConsumer1751151

I also will not buy anymore Epson products and plan to initiate a class action lawsuit. As of today I am a victim.

This is ridiculous. Epson should be ashamed for low class tactics!

Vanda
@PissedConsumer1753075

Became a victim of Epson's *** Move today. Installed an "important firmware update" and now my printer won't work because I am not using their cartridges. (Greta voice) "How DARE you!" Please add me to the class action lawsuit.

Ditto

I had the same problem with Epson Printer 446. It's cheaper to buy a brand new printer than buy 4 new cartridges. Outrageous business practice.

@PissedConsumer1742782

I can confirm rolling back the firmware and removing the updater is possible and the printer works perfectly again. I have and Epson 440. No more updates till it blows up.

Magda
@PissedConsumer1743031

How do you roll back the update?

@Magda

Yes please how do you roll it back

@PissedConsumer1743031

I tried the rollback but the button sequence you need to press in order to put the printer into "firmware update" mode doesn't work anymore. Hitting "stop", "left arrow", "home", and "power" buttons at the same time is supposed to do it according to many online sources but it just doesn't work anymore. Greedy bastards.

I have the same problem. Surely Epson has committed an illegal act!

Avoid Epson products, problem solved, partially, because I don't know which manufacturer is the most compatible friendly, if at all..?

They are crooks in operation ,the marked should be regulated and not by crooks, as people are forced to pay one litre of ink over 3 thousand dollars so they have created a firmware that stops your printer if your cartridges are not original

Same here. Said there was a firmware update for my XP 640.

Put in an aftermarket cartridge and it would not recognize. I am done with epson.

Epson Reviews