13.6K views

I Installed a firmware update, and now the printer can no longer "recognize" my print cartridges which had been working fine until the update. Word on the Internet is that Epson deliberately tries to punish people who buy replacement cartridges from other vendors, so they can sell their overpriced ones, and they do that by updating the firmware so that other vendor cartridges are "not recognized".

This is despicable. I will never buy another Epson product. They have even spawned a cottage industry that for $5 sells a firmware downgrade.

It is cheaper to buy a new printer than to buy Epson replacement cartridges. Their business practices are predatory and should be illegal.

Product or Service Mentioned: Epson Xp-630 Printer.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

Epson Pros: Printer.

Epson Cons: Business practices.

Comments

Me too. Brand new printer.

Maybe .5 ream of paper through it. Done with Epson for life, will advise everyone I know, I own the IT department for north America at work, done.

Same thing just happened to me with my wf-3720. I spoke to their customer service and accused them of sending malware to mess up a perfectly good, working printer, but they didn't care and said to buy their ink.

Ordell

Some thing for me. My printer is 3 months old and the cartridges cost more than the machine.

The aftermarket cartridges worked great and this morning I got a firmware upgrade and NONE of the cartridges work.

This is COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE. NEVER again will I buy an epson product, even if that means I have to copy things in CRAYON!

This just happened with my Epson WF-3720. I recently purchased my SECOND one because the first was struck by lightning.

I had almost full non-Epson ink, so just put it into the new printer. I remembered I still have the "set-up" cartridges (you know, those ones that come with the printer, with VERY little ink), so I installed those, thinking "they are Epson, they will make it work". WRONG - now I'm getting an error message that says, "Initial cartridge detected, printer already initialized"...….

so I can't even use those. If anyone finds a work-around, please let me know.

Epson WF3720 Same mess! Always had Epsons....but never EVER again!!

Enough things in this world to upset me without having to PAY extra for the privilege. Thanks for ruining my weekend Epson!

I just went through this same issue and I will not buy any other products made by EPSON.

@PissedConsumer1761023

Going to throw out both printers and buy a different brand!

Same here. Perfectly good, full cartridges before firmware update; now I cannot print anything at my business.

Never again. Never will one single Epson product ever darken my door as long as I live.

Epson will never get me money again I would rather buy a new printer

This happened to me today. I like the printer much better than my older HP, but I will never buy another Epson product.

yes I have had the same freaken issue this Epson printer worked great until the last firmware update now my ink wont work because I am being forced to buy their overpriced ink ? nope not happening .

Lou

Epson "ransomware'd" my XP-330 on Sept 25,2019. They say in multiple emails that I am required to buy their criminally over priced ink for it to work.

Has anyone started the class action lawsuit yet?

Where and how do I get the firmware downgrade? If I can't fix it I will use it for target practice.

Briella
@Lou

If there is a class action suit, count me IN. Same issue.

I'm also trashing (literally) my Epson printer and going with Brother. I've not had the issues with Brother that I have had with HP and Epson.

#1751915

Hit by this problem today, WF-3720 printer pushed a firmware upgrade and stopped working with a cryptic error (033007) code that I eventually figured out was due to the non-OEM cartridge. Printer is going in the bin and I will never buy another Epson product. I would give the printer away but then someone would have to buy another cartridge from Epson, so nope.

I'm responsible for all of the computers and peripherals for our Dept. We currently have 712 printers.

Luckily, only 21 are Epson printers. I'll make sure that we do not buy ANY Epson products (printers or anything) in the future!

@PissedConsumer1751151

I also will not buy anymore Epson products and plan to initiate a class action lawsuit. As of today I am a victim.

This is ridiculous. Epson should be ashamed for low class tactics!

Vanda
@PissedConsumer1753075

Became a victim of Epson's *** Move today. Installed an "important firmware update" and now my printer won't work because I am not using their cartridges. (Greta voice) "How DARE you!" Please add me to the class action lawsuit.

Ditto

I had the same problem with Epson Printer 446. It's cheaper to buy a brand new printer than buy 4 new cartridges. Outrageous business practice.

Epson Reviews