13.5K views

I Installed a firmware update, and now the printer can no longer "recognize" my print cartridges which had been working fine until the update. Word on the Internet is that Epson deliberately tries to punish people who buy replacement cartridges from other vendors, so they can sell their overpriced ones, and they do that by updating the firmware so that other vendor cartridges are "not recognized".

This is despicable. I will never buy another Epson product. They have even spawned a cottage industry that for $5 sells a firmware downgrade.

It is cheaper to buy a new printer than to buy Epson replacement cartridges. Their business practices are predatory and should be illegal.

Product or Service Mentioned: Epson Xp-630 Printer.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

Epson Pros: Printer.

Epson Cons: Business practices.

Comments

Agree, same here. Absolutely ridiculous business practice and I’ll be boycotting their products for life.

Corley

Got caught as well. Had the printer for 6 months probably have had 3 sets of 3rd party cartridges through it with no issues.

Firmware update applied and bricked the cartridges. Called the cartridge manufacture and they said yep, we "recommend you never update firmware". Horrible business practice Epson. You don't own my printer.

I have the right to do whatever I wish, with what I paid own. I see there is already a class action against you for this, hope they win.

Ever think that if you reasonably priced your consumables that we wouldn't look elsewhere for ink?? Was a nice printer but no more Epson products for me.

I have had the exact same problem. After being handed off to 4 different people they gave me the company line over-over about 3rd party cartridges not being guaranteed.

I'm OK with that statement....but the cartridges I had installed were working just fine before the firmware update. But after, would not work. So clearly a firmware issue---not cartridge When I got to my 4th person at "customer care" they said they would give me 15% off on new cartridges instead of just replacing the 2 that no longer worked. I declined that insult.

No more Epson products for me! Luckily there are tons of other choices.

I will never buy another printer again from them...

Same issue. Never again will I buy anything from this company.

Screw Epson, going to buy a Canon Megatank.

Installed the firmware 2019, now it’s doesn't recognize my after market cartridges!

@PissedConsumer1766624

EPSON AND THEIR FIRMWARE UPDATES ARE DESPICABLE

Same boat. I had just bought a new set of 3rd party carts too.

I have a WF-2860 AIO. After searching the web I found a way to downgrade the firmware and I am back printing again. Once these carts run out I will be investing in a Brother or Canon AIO.

Epson *** balls. BTS, if anyone wants to know my process, you can email me @ whoa.youre.angry(at)gmail.

@PissedConsumer1765231

Please share where we can find this!! My husband has a paper due tomorrow night and we are printer-less thanks to Epson!!!!!! :(

Same, cam here looking for an answer.

Same problem. Will not recognize ink cartridges after firmware upgrade.

Returning my Epson printer back to Costco for full refund.

Will by a Brother Laser jet instead. Horrible company with shady business practices.

Poor decision Epson. Going to come back to bite you in the *** people will no longer buy your product. Bite your nose to spite your face.

This just happened with a WF series printer I purchased in 2018 that has Epson cartridges in it. It failed after firmware update on 10/11/2019.

Kritika

Courage-Honor-Duty I now have a large paperweight and have worked for 3 days trying all kinds of solutions to no avail even with the paid fixes. I became so frustrated that I started using my past experience as a legal assistant and have been researching monopoly laws and I believe that they have crossed the line and a class action suit to which hundreds of thousands of Epson owners can be the aggrieved.

I feel so strongly about it that I have decided to use some of my old contacts to get a referral to a law firm (not just an attorney) because it will take multiple attorneys and support staff to work this. After Epson is dealt with I think the same fate should befall HP and any others who try this fleecing of the public. The WF-3720 I have now is my 5th Epson I have owned in the past 9 yrs as my needs changed and I wanted to upgrade. That loyalty HAS NOW STOPPED and I am going to tell everyone I know to boycott Epson.

I would encourage everyone that has been harmed by their actions to make notes about when it happened and how it has effected your ability to carry on your personal/professional daily business and the financial burden it caused you. Whether you give in and pay $100+ for a set of ink cartridges or go buy another printer, it cost you money, time, inconvenience, frustration, and anguish especially for those of you who cannot afford to purchase either option. So now you will have to bother a friend or go to the library to print your documents.

Keep these notes in a safe place where you will remember the location so that you can provide them to the attorneys if you decide to join the class action suit. Finally, again I strongly encourage you to use all means of communications that you use to tell everyone to boycott Epson and steer away from HP.

@Kritika

Maybe we an add in the environmental impact. If everyone tosses their printer...

What's the cost and impact. Epson has a responsibility

Tayna
@Kritika

Please include me.

Mee
#1761995

I have the same experience, just might spring $5 for firmware downgrade.

Me too. Brand new printer.

Maybe .5 ream of paper through it. Done with Epson for life, will advise everyone I know, I own the IT department for north America at work, done.

Same thing just happened to me with my wf-3720. I spoke to their customer service and accused them of sending malware to mess up a perfectly good, working printer, but they didn't care and said to buy their ink.

Epson Reviews