9.1K views

I Installed a firmware update, and now the printer can no longer "recognize" my print cartridges which had been working fine until the update. Word on the Internet is that Epson deliberately tries to punish people who buy replacement cartridges from other vendors, so they can sell their overpriced ones, and they do that by updating the firmware so that other vendor cartridges are "not recognized".

This is despicable. I will never buy another Epson product. They have even spawned a cottage industry that for $5 sells a firmware downgrade.

It is cheaper to buy a new printer than to buy Epson replacement cartridges. Their business practices are predatory and should be illegal.

Product or Service Mentioned: Epson Xp-630 Printer.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

Epson Pros: Printer.

Epson Cons: Business practices.

Comments

@Anonymous

It's a scam that should be illegal. Unfortunately, EPSON isn't alone in this practice: they're main product is their ink, not the hardware.

Same thing happened to me today. Totally pissed.

Will not buy Epson again. Please tell your friends and family.

I agree wholeheartedly. *** Epson.

I have the same problem and now I'm stuck with $100 worth of ink cartridges I can't use.

@Toby

same here...not happy! have tried everything!

This happened to me today as well

Go to this site and follow the complete directions... it works! http://mattpilz.com/how-to-downgrade-epson-xp-printer-firmware-fix-ink-not-recognized-error-xp-300-to-xp-640/ Thank you, Matt!

@Deb

thank you so much!!! downgrading firmware was the answer for me. :)

@Deb

Yessir worked like a charm and free

@Deb

This worked. Thank you so much!!!!

@Deb

I, too, downgraded the firmware. The problem is that now the quality of the prints suddenly changed: grey letters with white stripes when I print text, and faded colors when I print images. And the cartridges are brand new, so that can't be the cause.

My printer stopped printing immediately after firmware update. This is word on the street, was printing fine, firmware update, now the print is so faint you can't see the letters.

I will never ever, ever purchase another Epson product. Good job Epson you jerks, we needed to print forms for our kids school.

I am having the same problem and I agree with everything you said.

I'm in exactly the same boat. Bye-bye, Epson.

Small business - 20 users, will not buy Epson any longer, what a load of crap....to ensure our printer works....you mean your super cheap *** printer...oh look out now..wouldn't want that. Crooks

How dare you Epson? As everyone says, never again

Same story except the EPSON firmware upgrade started automatically! I had just done some printing and had several windows open when I saw the message about a firmware update running!!!

Wow this is as nasty as it gets! Never buy Epson products again.

Will never buy another epson product for our business.

@bob

Holy crap, just happened to me

Good printer. After firmware update doesn't recognize cartridges.

I hate you. Hate your business practices.