13.8K views

I Installed a firmware update, and now the printer can no longer "recognize" my print cartridges which had been working fine until the update. Word on the Internet is that Epson deliberately tries to punish people who buy replacement cartridges from other vendors, so they can sell their overpriced ones, and they do that by updating the firmware so that other vendor cartridges are "not recognized".

This is despicable. I will never buy another Epson product. They have even spawned a cottage industry that for $5 sells a firmware downgrade.

It is cheaper to buy a new printer than to buy Epson replacement cartridges. Their business practices are predatory and should be illegal.

Product or Service Mentioned: Epson Xp-630 Printer.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

Epson Pros: Printer.

Epson Cons: Business practices.

Comments

Same thing happened to me on Saturday, January 13, 2018. Disgusting business practices.

I just installed the firmware "upgrade" and am having the exact same problem. The aftermarket cartridges were working just fine before and were full, and now they're not recognized.

I fail to see how this so-called "upgrade" benefits anyone except Epson by forcing consumer to buy their branded and much higher prices cartridges.

The printer is less than a year old, and I never would have purchased it if I knew that Epson would be pull this kind of thing on their customers. Very disappointed, and I will recommend that people look for a different brand due to this greedy business practice.

Epson Reviews