14.1K views

I Installed a firmware update, and now the printer can no longer "recognize" my print cartridges which had been working fine until the update. Word on the Internet is that Epson deliberately tries to punish people who buy replacement cartridges from other vendors, so they can sell their overpriced ones, and they do that by updating the firmware so that other vendor cartridges are "not recognized".

This is despicable. I will never buy another Epson product. They have even spawned a cottage industry that for $5 sells a firmware downgrade.

It is cheaper to buy a new printer than to buy Epson replacement cartridges. Their business practices are predatory and should be illegal.

Product or Service Mentioned: Epson Xp-630 Printer.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

Epson Pros: Printer.

Epson Cons: Business practices.

Comments

Same Problem w xp-330. Utterly outrageous!

I though when I bought the printer that it was MINE! How dare Epson sabotage MY property?Answer: Easy.

The owner has no recourse. Accepting the update (click Agree) accepts tons of legal preclusions against lawsuits, class-action, etc.I will never buy anything again from Seiko or Epson.

Same problem with xp-440 printer firmware upgrade.

My XP430 was working fine until I updated a couple of days ago and now it recognizes none of the printer cartridges and will not print. I feel that they have stolen from me.

They basically have rendered my cartridges and printer useless and I refuse to bow down to buy their overpriced cartridges when these others have worked just fine.

I'm done with Epson. Bad business practices.

I would like to see ALL of you get on social media and ask all of your friends and their friends to make this topic go VIRAL. The only other thing to do is go to court and sue.

@PissedConsumer1439744

You cannot sue. When you clicked "Accept," you agreed to not sue or join class-actions.Epson saw this coming. "Security Update" only secured Epson's interests.

Same here. Updated firmware on relatively new 3640 and 2nd party ink cartage no longer works. I'm just going to return it to Costco and tell them the printer no longer prints.

Same thing happened to my Epson XP-640, and I actually use real Epson ink carts. It still didn't recognize 3 of them after a firmware update that I couldn't figure out how to avoid (it wouldn't let me print; just hassled me about the update).

I don't need CD printing this badly; if I can't get it going by reverting to an older firmware, it's back to Canon for me.

I figured out a free fix for my Epson XP-630 after spending probably a dozen hours.

Get earlier firmware here for my Epson XP-630 here;

Basically, you connect your printer with USB cable and turn off printer.

Download your earlier firmware if you can find it. Follow those instructions to set your printer in "Program Update Mode". On the XP-630, it was press and hold Left Arrow+Cancel Button (upper right) and Home and ON buttons right after the printer turns it self off. Don't do anything after.

Start the firmware update on the computer and follow instructions. The printer should not be found but a USB connection and should allow you to update the firmware. Once it updates, exit program, and hold and press OK button on printer to exit or to see if firmware update worked, press and hold down button.

Start printer up again. For me, it still asked that my ink was wrong, so I took all the ink out and put it back in and all was good.

Good luck!

@PissedConsumer1429344

That worked! Thank you very much.

I have a XP-430 so I had to work through the process of locating the firmware for my printer but that wasn't a big deal. It would have been nothing at all if I hadn't found myself in some very serious negative headspace and didn't expect it to work. But with a little persistence I came out the other end with a working printer. I had to run the firmware loader twice because the first time it reported "File not found".

I don't know what that was about. However, in a fit of daring do, I tried again. This time I got a "finished" report.

It was at this point that I began to have hope. A restart later and all was right with the world.Thanks again

@PissedConsumer1448257

Hi, I'm looking everywhere for the XP446 firmware and can't find it. Could you please tell me where you found yours? Thank you.

@PissedConsumer1452891

yes! Please!

@PissedConsumer1448748

Hi Fred,Were you able to get your xp-446 to start in update mode? If so please tell me how...Mine refuses to!

@PissedConsumer1448257

Where did you find the previous firmware version?

@PissedConsumer1448257

I have an XP-430 if you could post where you found the firmware i would appreciate it.

@PissedConsumer1449073

This site has a link to many printers' old firmware. For 430 it's the epson17765.exe

@PissedConsumer1449073

Sorry forgot the link https://www.latestprinterdrivers.com/epson-xp-430-driver-download/

@PissedConsumer1448257

Well that answered my question. I well NEVER purchase a Epson Printer & well pass the word on to my friends and business associates.

Customer Service is the back bone to any business & Epsons seems to be extremely lacking in this area. So not only is the Company fraud but there customer service can't even appease the customer, that btw pays there pay checks. If it wasn't for US....YOU would not have a job.

So if seems like some over paid idiot made a very bad decision to create an "update" that causes people unnecessary grief over your GREED of now only allowing customers to use your cartridges.

BIG/COSTLY mistake on Epsons part.

Same here.

Same here. Never buy Epson printer again.

Epson Reviews