14.1K views

I Installed a firmware update, and now the printer can no longer "recognize" my print cartridges which had been working fine until the update. Word on the Internet is that Epson deliberately tries to punish people who buy replacement cartridges from other vendors, so they can sell their overpriced ones, and they do that by updating the firmware so that other vendor cartridges are "not recognized".

This is despicable. I will never buy another Epson product. They have even spawned a cottage industry that for $5 sells a firmware downgrade.

It is cheaper to buy a new printer than to buy Epson replacement cartridges. Their business practices are predatory and should be illegal.

Product or Service Mentioned: Epson Xp-630 Printer.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

Epson Pros: Printer.

Epson Cons: Business practices.

Comments

Same thing just happened to me! Do you know who is selling the firmware downgrade?

I have 2 entire sets I bought and now I'm stuck. A $5 downgrade would be totally worth it. Me, too.

NO MORE EPSONS. They should be visited with a class-action lawsuit for unfair business practices.

@PissedConsumer1452471

The Supreme Court just made a decision against preventing 3rd. Party ink from being used after the first sale of the printer. Here's the decision>http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/supreme_court_decision_allows_resale_of_used_ink_cartridges_despite_patent

Epson used to be a great company. Now it's run by a whole bunch of *** I will not by any Epson product again.

Same here on my XP-330. This is what I did to fix the problem.

The printer is working again.

Do NOT take a firmware update from Epson. Here is the link...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6wdgJODghc

Installed update, and now none of my cartridges are recognized. How is this not illegal? I am spreading the word anywhere I can find: DO NOT PURCHASE FROM EPSON

Ditto tried a reset to s date before firmware update did not work a class action lawsuits is needed this is a clear case of market manipulation

Same here. XP-830Spoke with customer service, did the remove and re-seat cartridges, did not work.

Passed to corporate head office and spoke to a customer service rep who told me there is no way to roll back the firmware update, and the only fix is to install genuine Epson Ink. When I purchased the printer I was not made aware that I was required to only use genuine Epson ink (of course they "recommend that" but the price is ridiculous). I have been purchasing and using 3rd party ink since the starter cartridges ran out without any issues....until the latest firmware update. I told the customer service rep.

that was not a good enough answer, and he just repeated himself. This is amazingly terrible customer service! ( ...and they wonder why the get their *** kicked by internet retailers like Amazon, etc. ??!) I agree this is predatory practice.

And furthermore no warning was given prior to firmware update. I would have happily left it alone. These guys can't be competitive, so they are employing predatory practices! I feel this must be illegal?!

I am going to contact my local competition bureau and make a complaint.

Regardless of the outcome of ... I will NEVER purchase ANY Epson product again!

Same here , XP-330. Contacted Epson and got the generic instructions for reseating the cartridges or to buy Epson branded gold bricks... i mean, ink.

@PissedConsumer1450511

i got the fix here: https://www.latestprinterdrivers.com/epson-xp-434-driver-download/they probably have one for every epson. connect via usb to the printer.

remove cartridges. power it down. press power, home, left, stop simultaneously within 1 minute of power down. get boot screen.

run "recovery" hit ok on printer when the pc is finished.

install aftermarket cartridges and go. i put new in, just reinstalling the old ones may work also.

@PissedConsumer1450574

Thanks,Helped with my XP-330, just make sure you do no use the one at Epson website•Firmware Update For Windows – Recovery Mode version JO10G3 – Download (12.42 MB, Release Date: 06/07/16)

@PissedConsumer1450574

This worked great. Appreciate the help.

I have 2 of these things and a stockpile of aftermarket cartridges.

I was about to fix this printer with a sledgehammer, some gasoline and a bottle rocket. I will NEVER buy Epson products again.

Just fixed my XP-440. Here are the steps.Prerequisites:1.

Older version of firmware2. Process to start printer in "Firmware Update Mode"I found an older firmware version for the XP-440 here https://www.latestprinterdrivers.com/epson-xp-440-driver-download/.Steps to start the XP-440 in FW Update Mode here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCO1SVzrUh4. (NOTE: The combination is different for different models)Steps to downgrade firmware:1. Remove all ink cartridges2.

Plug printer into computer via USB3. Start printer in Firmware Update Mode4.

Install old firmware5. Restart and put ink cartridges back inNOTE: Some cartridges were still not recognized for me but I just popped them back in a couple times and they were eventually recognized.Excellent video reference here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=237&v=C6wdgJODghc

@PissedConsumer1450188

This just worked like a charm with my new XP-446. I had unfortunately updated the firmware during the initial set up (I just bought it on 3/24/18), and it would not recognize my third-party 288XL ink that I tried to use when the initial Epson cartridge was empty.I used the firmware from latestprinterdrivers.com for the XP-446. Note that to get into the recovery mode for this model, the buttons to hold down are stop/left/down/power - different from other models.I also had to try the inks several times, but now it is recognizing the replacement ink.

Same here XP-440. Also no way to downgrade firmware.

Trying to install previous firmware version gives error message "Downgraded (It cannot be updated)". Well they just ruined their reputation for me and everyone I know. I will be sure to never let anyone buy an epson printer again.

Now they won't make money on printers OR ink. *** fu**s.

When the class action lawsuit gets started, sign me up!

Yep, xp 430 same problem. I am looking for a reputable printer company that doesn't hold their customers hostage to replace this 6 month pos.

@PissedConsumer1449412

try Brother

I e-mailed JetSir whos cartridges i have been buying and they wrote back to me and gave me this response:EPSON 288 Series Ink Cartridge Upgrade Operating InstructionsRecently, EPSON has updated the printers that used 288 ink cartridge: EPSONXP-330/XP-430/XP-434/XP-340/XP-440. After the upgrade, the chip of the compatible ink cartridge will be invalidated and cannot work.

We are very sorry for any inconvenience, butplease don't worry, our 6th generation chip is designed with a carbon membrane function,cutting off the carbon film strip on the contact surface, enabling the serial number in the chip,effectively avoiding the EPSON upgrade and the cartridge will work. The specific operation is as follows: 1. Carbon membrane: In the upper right corner of the chip, there is a black vertical line on theright side of the golden circle;2.Cut this vertical line with a sharp knife, enabling the serial number in the chip, 3. After cutting the carbon film, Then reinstall the cartridge and test.

If it still cannot work, please contact us and we willrespond ASAP. Thank you so much for your understanding and support.

@PissedConsumer1449132

I just tried it and my printer charged the cartridge and it now works! FIXED!

I have been a Epson printer user for 25 years and jsut experienced this problem myself. I will replace the printer with something else and, like you, will never buy an Epson printer again.

Epson Reviews