14.1K views

I Installed a firmware update, and now the printer can no longer "recognize" my print cartridges which had been working fine until the update. Word on the Internet is that Epson deliberately tries to punish people who buy replacement cartridges from other vendors, so they can sell their overpriced ones, and they do that by updating the firmware so that other vendor cartridges are "not recognized".

This is despicable. I will never buy another Epson product. They have even spawned a cottage industry that for $5 sells a firmware downgrade.

It is cheaper to buy a new printer than to buy Epson replacement cartridges. Their business practices are predatory and should be illegal.

Product or Service Mentioned: Epson Xp-630 Printer.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

Epson Pros: Printer.

Epson Cons: Business practices.

Comments

I agree. Very sneaky.

Told Epson customer service so.

They lost a customer. Going back to HP.

I have the same issue - but I fork out the extra for an actual Epson ink cartridge - still saying it is NOT RECOGNISED !

Yes, having same issue. Cheep printer expensive ink now.

Will be replacing with a non Epson printer. By the way, I read Epson isn't the only one doing this.

We are having the same issue. I agree that this is very poor business practice. Would like Epson to do a new firmware update the reverses this error.

same here Epson i hope someone drags your *** to court in a lawsuitwhat gives you the right to squash free enterpriseoh by the way i did not buy your ink i smashed you copier with a hammer i upload the pictures in facebook denouncing your corporate greed

Epson, you stupid, foolish, greedy, short-sight {{Redacted}}. I've got twenty years of buying your products, but no more.

Your little idiot trick with the firmware update caused me not to be able to print an important project before a career-critical meeting.

You're done. Just exit the consumer market quietly.

wow. what a scam

Fricking Epson.

I'm having the same issue as other people, cartridges not recognized after firmware update. Well, printer is going in the trash!

Epson just lost my long time customer.

Not to mention I will no longer recommend them to anyone, sadly I have recommended them for some time. I'm blasting on every social media site to make users aware to stay away from epson products!

Same problem, never again will I buy Epson

Here is a solution fof XP-830:(1) Get older Firmware (just google) but here is one place:XP-830 NP18F8 (2015-08-18): https://ftp.epson.com/drivers/epson17294.exe(2) To put printer in Program/Reset mode, press turn off printer, then turn it on by pressing the power button while at the same time pressing the top right corner of the LCD.(3) Then connect PC to Printer via USB(4) Run firmware program - it is an standard installerRef:-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6wdgJODghc-http://mattpilz.com/how-to-downgrade-epson-xp-printer-firmware-fix-ink-not-recognized-error-xp-300-to-xp-640/

@PissedConsumer1472922

Worked perfectly!

#1471925

I just had the same thing happen to my Epson XP-530 Bricked the printer and I can't use it until I get new epson cartridges - which aren't sold in my town.

I have the same problem......Epson has stooped too low . They use the arm twisting technique you have no choice but to buy their cartridge.

They sell cheap printers and expensive cartridges so that we , the customers keep paying them for the rest of the printer's life.I was looking to find an older version of the firm ware that can be used to downgrade and restore ability of using a third party cartridge. Have even sent an email to the HQSuggest everyone to do the same here are the list of email IDs to send your complain and make them notice that consumers are not stupid to not understand their motives.epsonstoreorders@***.epson.com; newsroom@***.epson.com; epsonsales@***.epson.com; epsoncustomersupport@***.epson.com

I had the same exact problem, now my printer is all but useless. Cheaper to take it back to the store and go with a less filthy brand.

Yes I follow the directions and it worked!Thank you so much!I was trying for a week and it was charging money but I can't afford to pay for anything I'm not sure about.Thanks for you it was simple and free.How can I joint the suit process.

Same problem 434. I should have the right to replace ink as I see fit.

Warranty on hardware is over so why did they do this?!I will boycott Epson going forward.

They deserve a backlash for their stupidity... Bad customer experience...

This will fix all of your problems!http://mattpilz.com/how-to-downgrade-epson-xp-printer-firmware-fix-ink-not-recognized-error-xp-300-to-xp-640/#comment-14700

@PissedConsumer1463678

Thanks

same problem with xp430I will never buy another Epson product.

Epson Reviews