2.6K views

I Installed a firmware update, and now the printer can no longer "recognize" my print cartridges which had been working fine until the update. Word on the Internet is that Epson deliberately tries to punish people who buy replacement cartridges from other vendors, so they can sell their overpriced ones, and they do that by updating the firmware so that other vendor cartridges are "not recognized".

This is despicable. I will never buy another Epson product. They have even spawned a cottage industry that for $5 sells a firmware downgrade.

It is cheaper to buy a new printer than to buy Epson replacement cartridges. Their business practices are predatory and should be illegal.

Review about: Epson Xp-630 Printer.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

I liked: Printer.

I didn't like: Business practices.

Comments

Yes, having same issue. Cheep printer expensive ink now.

Will be replacing with a non Epson printer. By the way, I read Epson isn't the only one doing this.

We are having the same issue. I agree that this is very poor business practice. Would like Epson to do a new firmware update the reverses this error.

same here Epson i hope someone drags your *** to court in a lawsuitwhat gives you the right to squash free enterpriseoh by the way i did not buy your ink i smashed you copier with a hammer i upload the pictures in facebook denouncing your corporate greed

Epson, you stupid, foolish, greedy, short-sight {{Redacted}}. I've got twenty years of buying your products, but no more.

Your little idiot trick with the firmware update caused me not to be able to print an important project before a career-critical meeting.

You're done. Just exit the consumer market quietly.

wow. what a scam

Fricking Epson.

I'm having the same issue as other people, cartridges not recognized after firmware update. Well, printer is going in the trash!

Epson just lost my long time customer.

Not to mention I will no longer recommend them to anyone, sadly I have recommended them for some time. I'm blasting on every social media site to make users aware to stay away from epson products!

Same problem, never again will I buy Epson

Here is a solution fof XP-830:(1) Get older Firmware (just google) but here is one place:XP-830 NP18F8 (2015-08-18): https://ftp.epson.com/drivers/epson17294.exe(2) To put printer in Program/Reset mode, press turn off printer, then turn it on by pressing the power button while at the same time pressing the top right corner of the LCD.(3) Then connect PC to Printer via USB(4) Run firmware program - it is an standard installerRef:-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6wdgJODghc-http://mattpilz.com/how-to-downgrade-epson-xp-printer-firmware-fix-ink-not-recognized-error-xp-300-to-xp-640/

#1471925

I just had the same thing happen to my Epson XP-530 Bricked the printer and I can't use it until I get new epson cartridges - which aren't sold in my town.

I have the same problem......Epson has stooped too low . They use the arm twisting technique you have no choice but to buy their cartridge.

They sell cheap printers and expensive cartridges so that we , the customers keep paying them for the rest of the printer's life.I was looking to find an older version of the firm ware that can be used to downgrade and restore ability of using a third party cartridge. Have even sent an email to the HQSuggest everyone to do the same here are the list of email IDs to send your complain and make them notice that consumers are not stupid to not understand their motives.epsonstoreorders@ea.epson.com; newsroom@ea.epson.com; epsonsales@ea.epson.com; epsoncustomersupport@ea.epson.com

I had the same exact problem, now my printer is all but useless. Cheaper to take it back to the store and go with a less filthy brand.

Yes I follow the directions and it worked!Thank you so much!I was trying for a week and it was charging money but I can't afford to pay for anything I'm not sure about.Thanks for you it was simple and free.How can I joint the suit process.

Same problem 434. I should have the right to replace ink as I see fit.

Warranty on hardware is over so why did they do this?!I will boycott Epson going forward.

They deserve a backlash for their stupidity... Bad customer experience...

This will fix all of your problems!http://mattpilz.com/how-to-downgrade-epson-xp-printer-firmware-fix-ink-not-recognized-error-xp-300-to-xp-640/#comment-14700

to tim j #1469594

Thanks

same problem with xp430I will never buy another Epson product.

I just downgraded the firmware and it fixed the issue. I have a mac and the epson xp-460.First, go to https://www.latestprinterdrivers.com/epson-xp-430-driver-download/ and download the 'Firmware Update For Mac OS- Recovery Mode version MO22G6' (or windows version if that's what you use).Next, attach the printer USB cable to your computer (apparently downgrading over wifi does not work).Next, put your printer into recovery mode by pressing these four buttons at the same time - Left Arrow, Cancel (triangle with a circle), home, and power.

The screen will change to saw Recovery Mode.Now, launch the firmware update that you downloaded on your computer. Select the USB update option. It will show finished on your computer, but it will take a couple minutes to finish updating on the printer.

The printer screen will say something like 'Erasing ROM', then 'Writing ROM', then it will show a message that it is completed.Press the OK button, which will shut the printer off.Turn it back on again. If it still doesn't recognize the ink cartridges (I had Epson ones too, which was kinda ridiculous), then remove all of the cartridges, turn off the printer, turn it back on again, insert the cartridges, and it should go through the charging process and recognize the cartridges.

to Tom G #1461404

Thank you. I used the firmware from 6/7/16.

Not the modern Windows 10 and it went smooth. As one additional step I also uninstalled all the Epson software on my PC prior to doing this.

to Tom G #1475162

You're awesome, thank you so much! I know I won't buy another epson after their strong arm attempt here!