8.6K views

I Installed a firmware update, and now the printer can no longer "recognize" my print cartridges which had been working fine until the update. Word on the Internet is that Epson deliberately tries to punish people who buy replacement cartridges from other vendors, so they can sell their overpriced ones, and they do that by updating the firmware so that other vendor cartridges are "not recognized".

This is despicable. I will never buy another Epson product. They have even spawned a cottage industry that for $5 sells a firmware downgrade.

It is cheaper to buy a new printer than to buy Epson replacement cartridges. Their business practices are predatory and should be illegal.

Product or Service Mentioned: Epson Xp-630 Printer.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

I liked: Printer.

I didn't like: Business practices.

Comments

My Epson XP 620 printer has the same issue now. No, I will not be buying their overpriced *** cartridges when my off brand refillables work perfectly fine until this criminal *** into my hardware. They need serious repercussions for this criminal act that they put against their own customers.

I did the firmware update and the printer won't recognize genuine epson ink, not 3rd party. Firmware update screwed up my printer now it's junk.

SubtleIbizanHound627

I KNEW they were doing something nefarious. My aftermarket cartridges are no longer working either.

I have an Epson WF 7710. I emailed them a note that asked if Epson had disabled my printer from accepting non-Epson cartridges. Got back the usual blah, blah, blah. Then I pointedly asked if my Epson printer was designed not to accept aftermarket ink cartridges (from my office email, with our patent law firm logo on the bottom).

The of course told me that aftermarket cartridges are "not guaranteed to work"...which is not what I asked them. Considering that this seems to be a practice across the industry, has anyone explored a class-action suit against the printer companies as to this practice?

If so, I'd like to join, if not, I'd be interested to see who else would join one if I started it? Tom

to SubtleIbizanHound627 #1689098

Yes they have settled many times before. Someone needs to refuse a settlement and seek criminal prosecution. This is no different than ransomware.

Poor customer service. Do NOT use 3rd party cartridges after updating firmware.

It will not work.

Copy printing is very slow. 1 page per 5 min.

You can make your Epson printers chipless and use all cartridges you want - https://www.2manuals.com/index.php?cPath=107

I had the exact same problem after I updated the firmware on my Epson XP-640. I'll never buy anything from Epson again, as long as they continue holding customers hostage with their ridiculously overpriced cartridges this way.

My Epson printer stopped printing anything after an update and I use replacement cartridges. I have to to run my small business.

they have crippled my work and business by these unfair practices! That is so F'ed up!

I totally agree, I will never buy an Epson product again...... goodbye Epson....

I have the EPSON XP-440 series..I'm afraid to update the firmware because I don't want it to reject my after market cartridges (which work GREAT at half the price). I'm on firmware 20.22.SO08I5. Is anyone running a newer firmware without issues on 3rd party ink?

same issue. I'd been ignoring the firmware update requests, but this week, the XP-830 would not let me print until I installed the update.

When I did so, it then would not recognize my remanufacturered epson cartridges. can't seem to find a way around this.

Is there a petition on Change.org to sign?

Same thing happened to me today. I'm reinstalling my Canon All-In-One printer and it's adios Epson.

I will NEVER buy an Epson product again.

absolutely against Federal Trade Commission and Epson agreement with government NOT to conduct such practices. EPSON NEVER AGAIN!!!

to Anonymous #1595426

It's a scam that should be illegal. Unfortunately, EPSON isn't alone in this practice: they're main product is their ink, not the hardware.

Same thing happened to me today. Totally pissed.

Will not buy Epson again. Please tell your friends and family.

I agree wholeheartedly. *** Epson.

I have the same problem and now I'm stuck with $100 worth of ink cartridges I can't use.

to Toby #1566625

same here...not happy! have tried everything!