6.4K views

I Installed a firmware update, and now the printer can no longer "recognize" my print cartridges which had been working fine until the update. Word on the Internet is that Epson deliberately tries to punish people who buy replacement cartridges from other vendors, so they can sell their overpriced ones, and they do that by updating the firmware so that other vendor cartridges are "not recognized".

This is despicable. I will never buy another Epson product. They have even spawned a cottage industry that for $5 sells a firmware downgrade.

It is cheaper to buy a new printer than to buy Epson replacement cartridges. Their business practices are predatory and should be illegal.

Review about: Epson Xp-630 Printer.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

I liked: Printer.

I didn't like: Business practices.

Comments

I will NEVER buy an Epson product again.

absolutely against Federal Trade Commission and Epson agreement with government NOT to conduct such practices. EPSON NEVER AGAIN!!!

Same thing happened to me today. Totally pissed.

Will not buy Epson again. Please tell your friends and family.

I agree wholeheartedly. *** Epson.

I have the same problem and now I'm stuck with $100 worth of ink cartridges I can't use.

This happened to me today as well

Go to this site and follow the complete directions... it works! http://mattpilz.com/how-to-downgrade-epson-xp-printer-firmware-fix-ink-not-recognized-error-xp-300-to-xp-640/ Thank you, Matt!

My printer stopped printing immediately after firmware update. This is word on the street, was printing fine, firmware update, now the print is so faint you can't see the letters.

I will never ever, ever purchase another Epson product. Good job Epson you jerks, we needed to print forms for our kids school.

I am having the same problem and I agree with everything you said.

I'm in exactly the same boat. Bye-bye, Epson.

Small business - 20 users, will not buy Epson any longer, what a load of crap....to ensure our printer works....you mean your super cheap *** printer...oh look out now..wouldn't want that. Crooks

How dare you Epson? As everyone says, never again

Same story except the EPSON firmware upgrade started automatically! I had just done some printing and had several windows open when I saw the message about a firmware update running!!!

Wow this is as nasty as it gets! Never buy Epson products again.

Will never buy another epson product for our business.

to bob #1535417

Holy crap, just happened to me

Good printer. After firmware update doesn't recognize cartridges.

I hate you. Hate your business practices.

Same *** happened to me. {{Redacted}}

None of these techniques work after Epson's sneaky update. My non-OEM ink company sent me free non-OEM replacement cartridges with new chip in them compatible with the update. So I did not have to buy Epson brand.

well i did the update from epson and ink was not recognized... HERE IS THE FIX...

that i used to get my printer working again.... go to matts page to find out how to get your printer in firmware update mode.. http://mattpilz.com/how-to-downgrade-epson-xp-printer-firmware-fix-ink-not-recognized-error-xp-300-to-xp-640/ then go to driverscollection and find the epson printer you have .. https://us.driverscollection.com/?V=Epson&S=36 go to the last page..

3 at the bottom find your printer most epsons are grouped with similar firmware.. mine is the xp-435 but i used the 430 firmware. now find the firmware download area.. be careful not to click on all the google ads..

click on the download recovery mode..version.. then click on the download bar that (will turn blue when you put your cursur over it) it will start the update on the printer... wait a few minutes until the screen says finished...

power off and back on.. put the ink in and in a few minutes you should be good to go

to johnboy #1527187

Thank you for this post!!! You just saved me a bunch of moolah.

:) Out of the 3 possible downloads, the first didn't work for me, so I tried the second one and I am back up and running. Shame on you, Epson!