5K views

I Installed a firmware update, and now the printer can no longer "recognize" my print cartridges which had been working fine until the update. Word on the Internet is that Epson deliberately tries to punish people who buy replacement cartridges from other vendors, so they can sell their overpriced ones, and they do that by updating the firmware so that other vendor cartridges are "not recognized".

This is despicable. I will never buy another Epson product. They have even spawned a cottage industry that for $5 sells a firmware downgrade.

It is cheaper to buy a new printer than to buy Epson replacement cartridges. Their business practices are predatory and should be illegal.

Review about: Epson Xp-630 Printer.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

I liked: Printer.

I didn't like: Business practices.

Comments

#1519110

Thanks for the note. I also had the same problem. Epson shouldn't care if other brand inkjet cartridges work in their printers, they would sell more printers.

I agree never by another epson printer

I also just experienced the same situation after updating my firmware my printer no longer recognizes some of my ink cartridges. Well Epson your ink is too expensive and rather than going to buy your ink I will buy a new printer that is not an Epson . Too bad as this is the second one I have owned and it will now be the last .

I apologize in advance because this is somewhat long; however, this is my entire dialog 2 days ago (7/10/18) directly with Epson online. Beware if you own an Epson or are considering buying one.....

don't! If you have one already, do not allow printer updates and/or disable the update function:Sent: Tuesday, July 10, 2018 1:40 PMSubject: Msg Sent to Epson through an online chatScenario: Two elderly people in their late 80's, husband still working part-time in-home to supplement a very fixed income, and wife legally blind but still able to function somewhat on the computer, which is a main part of the little bit left she can do and loves to do.However, your 'bricking' policy to download updates that disable printers on the unsuspecting product owner is terribly wrong. Their new Epson XP-830 printer is now useless to them and they have to either cough up the 2x+ cost to purchase your 'Epson brand' ink cartridges and toss the supply of the 3rd party cartridges they have saved up for that they were using, or pay to have their printer replaced with another brand from a company that doesn't do what you just did. They absolutely cannot afford the high cost of Epson ink and up until yesterday, the 3rd party ink they can barely afford was doing just fine.

Your stupid firmware update ruined that for them. The mrs. spent hours and hours trying to figure out what went wrong and finally gave up. Not only is this extremely stressful and very unhealthy on these 2 people, it severely impacts the business they are still trying to run, and making their overall living expenses even harder to meet.

These people should be focusing on meeting their bills, eating and living comfortably, not dealing with this type of stress and bs. Isn't Epson getting enough money on their products that they still have to go and skim more off of people who can't afford more?This needs to be resolved in their favor. It needs to be discontinued. I expect to hear back from somebody who can give me a satisfactory answer within 24 hours.

If not, I will be posting this (in greater detail) on every facebook page and public forum I can. There is already a lot of negative feedback about this practice online and I intend to add to it. With this sort of practice Epson will be losing customers; a lot of them, me included, ultimately not gaining the revenue they think they'll be getting. Please fix this or tell us how to.=========================================================Reply from Epson 7/10/18 - exactly the same as their website statement:"Hi- The Epson XP-830 is designed to use only genuine Epson-brand ink cartridges.

Other brands of ink cartridges and ink supplies are not compatible and, even if described as compatible, may not function properly. From time to time, Epson updates its firmware to ensure the printer operates as designed. Epson provides information about the design of the printer on the box as well as many other locations including materials shipped with the printer. -Chat Conversation End-"-----------------------------------------------------------7/10/18 @ 5:30 pmMy Reply to Epson: You provided me an answer as expected......

a canned response. Is this even a human and do you have a name? I would really like to talk to a person who can give a satisfactory answer, which this is not.AND, this is a complete inaccurate brush-off. The printer absolutely WAS working perfectly every since they bought it on the brand of 3rd party cartridges they were using -- no issues at all.

I am using 3rd party cartridges on my HP and guess what? They aren't doing what Epson is doing!Then Epson comes along and screws it all up....why? Because they 'might not function properly'? Seriously?

They WERE functioning properly and just because they 'might not' for some people isn't a good enough reason to sabotage all customers printers and force them to by cartridges that are 2-1/2 times the price, which is simply so Epson can make more money. Profit. Never mind that they might be hurting the same people they are trying, so they say, to 'help'. Complete nonsense and definitely a move to make sure they get all the maintenance profits in addition to purchasing the equipment.These elderly people (85 and 89) who are trying to still maintain their home business just to make ends meet, are my parents and they do not deserve to have to pay your inflated prices just to use your printer.

There are much better printers out there from companies that won't do this to their customers.I NEED to talk to a person who is willing to work with me and give me a satisfactory solution. A simple boilerplate brush-off response is the bottom of the barrel and will.not.do. I will give my phone number, but first I need to know I am given more attention than what I have just received and I am actually going to talk to someone who is willing to listen.After this, if not resolved, everybody will know how you take advantage of even elderly people who are just barely surviving on an annual income that most people make in a couple of months. Epson is NOT looking out for its customers -- if they were, they'd offer their own ink cartridges at the same prices as customers can get from other vendors, not inflated like they are.(phone number pending a live human chat reply )------------------------------------------------------------------------------Tuesday July 10, 2018 6:00 pmReply from Epson: "Sorry about the situation.

Many of these products currently advertised as compatible also infringe Epson’s intellectual property and are prohibited from sale in the United States. Epson invests in enforcement against these infringing sellers in an effort to protect its intellectual property and to protect consumers who are enticed by the low price, but are unaware of the intellectual property and possible performance issues."----------------------------------------------------------My reply back to Epson, July 10:If these are prohibited from sale in the U.S., how come (a major online company) is selling these alongside the Epson cartridges? Are you saying that (this company) is violating something that is prohibited from sale in the U.S.? If this is the case, how come Epson hasn't shut this down?

This is not a product we bought overseas - this is a product from a California company - is this one of the companies that infringe on Epson's IP rights? . If this is the case, how come we have been able to buy them for so long and they are still for sale on a very popular public venue?This is still not helpful. I would like a solution to the high cost of Epson ink cartridges, and/or a work-around in allowing us to use the ink that has been working for us until Epson stepped in and squashed that.

And a better explanation on what to do in the case of this particular product.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------No reply back from Epson this time;My final post to them July 11, 2018 8:45 am:I realize I'm not going to get anywhere with your company, and that nobody there cares about the consumers, only the bottom line. I have done much research online and this is a problem that has been going on for some time now and that the consumers are paying dearly for Epson's deception and trickery. Nobody I have talked to or read about who has had this happen to them, is happy with Epson. They were all blindsided and none of them are ever purchasing Epson again.

I can state positively that I will NEVER EVER buy another Epson product again, it will always be somebody else's brand, and updates will never be allowed to come in again. In the face of such a backlash, I wonder how long it will take before Epson takes a huge hit and goes bankrupt.I will be putting my experience with these practices online in every forum I can, and I have already been passing the news to everybody I know, and I can guarantee that the people I have been talking to are already passing it along to everybody they can and all have vowed not to ever buy Epson.This is a sorry situation for everybody, including the employees of Epson who will ultimately pay the price by losing their jobs as the company fails. No company can survive when they don't take their customers best interests to heart and only care about the bottom line.

Too bad it is coming to this. Never again.

to Karen C #1517576

Good luck with whatever you choose to do vis-à-vis Epson. They are definitely violating the spirit of a prior Supreme Court ruling.

They’re betting that they’re either not violating the letter of the ruling or will pay less in the legal settlement than they make off the ink.Some of us have successfully deleted the new (offending) firmware and reinstalled older firmware that allows you to use third-party ink. See my previous posts for some information on how to do that.

Epson will tell you that you can’t do that, but unless they’ve made further changes in the last three months, they’re lying. I reinstalled the old firmware in early April and have had no problems since.Good luck to you and your parents.

So you did not sell me your over priced ink. You lost a little, now you have lost another customer forever. Printer goes to the trash, Epson can go to the trash, Epson can go to ***

Same problem. Epson will never get any of my future business.

Go here to get instructions on how to downgrade firmware:http://mattpilz.com/how-to-downgrade-epson-xp-printer-firmware-fix-ink-not-recognized-error-xp-300-to-xp-640/I found my older firmware here:https://www.latestprinterdrivers.com/Just search for your printer and click on read more button. Your older firmware should be listed.Worked like a charm for me. No more brick on the desk for me.

WTF!! So now I'm totally screwed??

My printer worked yesterday and now it's toast! I am beyond pissed.

I have VERY IMPORTANT WORK TO DO!!! And definitely no extra money to fix this problem!

I had the same problem. I updated and have brand new cartridges and now the printer "does not recognize ink cartridges".

I am very disappointed and angry!! I will never buy another Epson product again.

Anyone has any recommendations of which brand is a better buy... that won’t break your remanufactured ink after a firmware upgrade?

I have been using third party ink for years and the new upgrade totally screwed that. I am throwing away my Epson today and never buying any Epson products again. Nice job Epson, you lost another customer.

to B. Combs #1513491

This is very very wrong... will never buy Epson again.

I wholeheartedly agree.

same thing here ( happened twice) . Will buy a different brand next time. Shame on them!

Same thing epson 4730. It has no buttons to enter update mode and cant get to any of the touchscreen settings with out buying their ink first.

Wasted $200 on a printer that is not even a year old.

Never will buy any of their products again. So pissed and dissapointed.

I have the same problem with my XP830 printer. I will never buy another Epson printer due to there disgusting practices. I will also be sending a letter to AG.

I 100% agree: just a total BS move. Reminds me of Keurig and their stupid proprietary pods.

Wake up Epson! You think you won't see a customer backlash and sales effect from this?

What genius executive was behind this decision? We want names.

Love the review ! Agreed! Loved my Epson printer, hate their business practice.

The same thing happened to me. They were brand new refilled cartridges working fine until I did the upgrade.

I’m so angry I haven’t even ordered new cartridges for it. I have a cannon I’ve been using instead but Edson needs to do something.