13.5K views

I Installed a firmware update, and now the printer can no longer "recognize" my print cartridges which had been working fine until the update. Word on the Internet is that Epson deliberately tries to punish people who buy replacement cartridges from other vendors, so they can sell their overpriced ones, and they do that by updating the firmware so that other vendor cartridges are "not recognized".

This is despicable. I will never buy another Epson product. They have even spawned a cottage industry that for $5 sells a firmware downgrade.

It is cheaper to buy a new printer than to buy Epson replacement cartridges. Their business practices are predatory and should be illegal.

Product or Service Mentioned: Epson Xp-630 Printer.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

Epson Pros: Printer.

Epson Cons: Business practices.

Comments

Gene S
#1921950

Printer repair and aftermarket supplies reseller here. For those that have downloaded the firmware updates by Epson and they bricked your printer, just be aware that HP does this as well.

Brother is starting to use smart chips. So before you shoot yourself in the foot, Buyer Beware. To avoid bricking, always, always, disable automatic updates and never update the firmware unless you have an issue that can be corrected by it. Even then, make sure your supplier is selling current chip versions.

I wouldn't trust many of the sellers on Amazon, nor many on the internet in general to sell you current product. The quality aftermarket companies are working on updating their chips, but it takes time. Most, if not all, of the aftermarket cartridges for EPSON come from overseas (China). There are only a few aftermarket chip makers in the world and they specialized in different market segments.

Manufacturers have lost recent cases in court on this issue and in the past, and are constantly being sued by practices like this. EPSON has a pending case in Federal Court against them. HP may as well. The cases will take time, but by the time it is resolved, your printer will be outdated and not working.

The manufacturers must be very careful on how they present these updates to the consumer, they cannot be sneaky about it, so read everything before purchasing their products (printer, cartridges, the prompts during set-up, go through the menus to disable the updates...everything). They are under no obligation to give away their market share or make it easy for aftermarket companies, though they are prohibited from bundling and forcing you to purchase their products (Magnuson-Moss ACT of 1975). Another note, Manufacturers like EPSON, CANON and HP will also sue the aftermarket companies preemptively on patent infringements (chips, cartridge components and design, etc.) to stop or slow the erosion of their very profitable market.

Personally, I would never recommend an EPSON printer and not because of this reason but the product is trash from a service perspective. The EPSON Ink printers have a slew of issues with their print heads and have for years.

#1918442

i agree completely! i refuse to spend high dollar on epson ink just because they are a bunch of greedy bastards. i will NEVER buy another epson product or recommend epson to anybody for the rest of my life

#1911067

Everyone, Epson can not restrict you from using other brands of ink. the printer is yours.

You bought it. Get on Social Media and see if a lawyer is willing to start a class action lawsuit. In the mean time a lot of Epson's money will be waisted and then maybe they'll wake up.

By the way its called Consumer's Rights. Don't *** fight back!

#1906356

Same experience. Even worse is customer service.

They will not admit to the problem. They keep escalating to a higher level.

The latest representative said to buy an original cartridge and then take it out and put the other back in. He said that it would fool the sensor.

#1903881

I had the same experience. The Epson XP 6000 working fine until I installed a software update.

The suddenly I'm getting messages that the ink cartridges (Not Epson) cannot be recognized. Really annoying and enough to make me toss the printer than be forced to buy Epson Ink.

Adding to the problem is that it is a scanner and printer unit where I am unable to use the scanner until the printer cartridge is resolved. I'm done with Epson.

Same thing on my XP-7100 Epson will never get another dime from me

Sirena

Updated firmware last night....big mistake!! Now my high capacity after market black cartridge is not recognized even after popping another in.

I have a class to teach in less than two days and this is unacceptable.

I'm switching to HP, no more EPSON for me! This 7100 is going to the rifle range as an exploding target!

#1912917
@Sirena

I think HP is just as bad!

I have bought epson cartridges and they STILL ARE NOT RECOGNIZED.

I sent the following message to the FTC.... After a firmware update that stated it was a security issue update, I got an error message that my printer "cannot recognize ink cartridge".

Before the update the "third party" cartridges worked fine for about 8 months. I was mislead to download the update thinking there was a security issue that needed to be fix. Instead it was ploy to get me to download the update to maliciously force me to purchase their ink cartridges at an inflated price (figures out to be over $4500/Gal). Now I have about $50 dollars worth of unusable ink cartridges.

And I will also be out of $100 that I paid for this printer.

I am going to buy a new printer rather than give in to their ransom demand of buying their ink cartridge which would be about the same cost of a new printer. They have rendered my printer useless until I give in to their ransom demand of using only Epson ink cartridges.

Rock-3-Trekker

Hello my fellow Americans, who have had their epson printer infected with upgraded firmware, to enslave your printer into doing what "cor(rupted)porate epson" wants it to do...…."MAKE THEM MORE MONEY$$$$$$$" I, myself made my XP-7100 a slave also, on 3/10/20, when I totally forgot, that I told myself "DO NOT UPGRADE EVER". Now, I have to find the previous version of "Firmware" for my model.

That's right folks, you need the previous version of "Firmware" for your model of printer. Once you know what it is and you locate the file somewhere, then you're 3/4 of the way to printing freedom.

Maybe, the following link: https://resetter.me/en/tutorials/epson-xp-series-firmware-downgrade can help many of you, with an enslaved printer, by removing it from the shackles of the "epson global plantation" As for my situation, I'm still trying to find the underground railroad to freedom!! If you liked what you've read or if this info has helped you, could you please send me a thank you with " "I LIKE FREEDOM" in the subject line to: rh14k@hotmail.com

ditto EPSON is done with me

Kenidee

told my wife not to update the printer and accidently did it myself last night, it won't let me downgrade with the latest firmware. Epson sucks but they won't get another penny from me.

@Kenidee

ditto

I have an Epson XP-440 and today the software was updated. Now it will not recognize my non-Epson ink cartridges and I have tried every idea on the internet for a fix but it does not work.

I read there is a class action law suit against Epson for this problem. I do not have the money for a new printer and am very upset,

Last one for me. I bought this printer it is mine and not for them to dictate if I use my or their ink.

Yoana

Same here they just lost another customer and this was my 5 Epson

Thieving Bastards!

#1820654

Very disappointed I too will switch to another company Epson lost another customer I guess now you would have to put Epson on the SCAM List Recommending a firmware update which causes problems puts them in the scammer category!!!!

I have purchased 2 Epson all in one printers and I should have stopped at 1. They are so poorly made and DO NOT stand by their products.

If the one year warranty expires they DO NOTHING for you except offer a discount on another piece of junk they make. I am going to complain to BBB and make sure that I tell anyone and everyone I know NEVER to purchase an EPSON printer.

Thank God for social media so I can get the word out. Shame on you to sell garbage and not stand by it.

Epson Reviews